1/24 scale overview.

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
WesR

1/24 scale overview.

Post by WesR »

For most of last year I was busy developing and productionising a1/24 scale car. The reason for the change from 1/32 was mostly because many stock 2.4g radio components, receivers, servos etc., but particularly the JST connectors, would not fit into the smaller car without hard wiring everything and I felt that many customers would not be able, or want, to do this.
Also I had hoped to offer ready to run chassis but the extra work would be expensive.
I finished with 4 cars running well and fast enough, even with std. motors. I think the larger radius curves and slightly longer straights increase the speed somewhat.
During the year however I had my Magracing Facebook page hacked and I lost over 100 local contacts who may have been interested and I decided to do something else for a while.
Pics. should show the routed chassis and vac formed components, even wheels!
In hindsight, the answer is of course a custom built rx/esc which is easy to hard wire and compact enough for 1/32 cars.
1/24 is great for those with a little more space, particularly clubs. The larger cars are easier to work on and single seat cars would be a possibility
DSCF1007 (2) (600x329).jpg
DSCF1007 (2) (600x329).jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 14183 times
DSCF1019 (3) (600x312).jpg
DSCF1019 (3) (600x312).jpg (137.97 KiB) Viewed 14183 times
DSCF1015 (2) (600x255).jpg
DSCF1015 (2) (600x255).jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 14183 times
The 1/32 car is included to show the difference.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: 1/24 scale overview.

Post by kiklo »

Very interesting to see your progress Wes.

Do you do the vacuum forming yourself ?
If so did you make the vacuum-equipment yourself ?
Any picture of the apparatus would be interesting to see.

Being a nit pit I see a somewhat off center balance in the cars, does it have any affect ?

Looking forward to see some videos.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Forgot to ask: What battery are you using ?
Racing Regards

Kim K.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi KIm, I started in business many years ago in Vac. forming. A friend and myself built a machine with a 1.5m x 1.2m platen. Made all sorts of things including fish ponds, paddling pools, aircraft cabin trim panels, etc. When I moved into model cars, I made a smaller machine more suitable for 1/8 car bodies. My now very small m/c is dismantled at present but hopefully will be back in action soon and I will take a photo.
Re. off centre, the motor is slightly to the opposite side of the battery and when you add the rx and the esc., there is not so much in it. Can't tell any noticeable difference when driving. The battery is the CR123, commonly used in cameras and more easily obtainable than the AAA
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hello Wes,

As I've managed to get my my 2013 McLaren chassis running and I just happened to look at the Magracing Forum and see a new post from yourself.

I've started building a new track and was wondering where on earth I could get some more cars and hand controllers to use on it.
Unfortunately I have no background in RC so I need to learn fast.

I think I'd still prefer 1:32nd scale but if 1:24 is the way forward I've no real problem with that.

Would you have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Kindest Regards,

Jim
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Hi Jim.

If you are interested I can help you out with some cars of my own design. PT it is 1:32.

PM me if you are interested.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Kim,
Thanks for your interest.

I've recently retired and now have a little more time on my hands.
I bought one of the early mag racers from Wes, followed the instructions and built a test track.
It all work beautifully but I never seemed to be able to find the time to build a proper track.

I've recently retired and now have a little more time on my hands.

I was originally attracted to Mag Racing because of the realism of a slot-less track and the
ability to have a proper Racing Line. Even now, six years later, no other tabletop racing
system comes close to that. Wes certainly had a vision.

So, now I know the system works I'm looking for a way to find cars, with easy availability of spares
and high detailed bodies that match the brilliance of the Mag Racing system.
I see Wes is making a case for 1:24scale because of the extra space that offers.

Ultimately I'd like to build my own cars but at the moment my knowledge of RC is very limited so
I have a bucket of questions if anybody has the patience to help.

Hopefully I'll have my track completed soon and perhaps you can help me out with a car or two.

For Now,

Jim
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi Jim, I did type a reply last night but unfortunately it timed out while drinking my cocoa! I see Kim has helpfully responded. The problems for me have been mainly twofold. Firstly I had a very enjoyable career/ hobby with slot cars and then as the uk's first r/c race car manufacturer. R/c cars were initially very much about racing and we were out most weekends at club meetings and even sometimes into Europe, which I thoroughly enjoyed. In my retirement I developed Magracing as a challenging project and one to enable me to continue racing, perhaps with a group of friends. The aim was to combine the 'in house' compactness of Slot racing with the greater driving skills of r/c cars. This I feel has been well achieved. Unfortunately time have changed over the last decades and it seems that interest in both model making and racing has declined. I had the local slot club over for an open session but apparently steering a car as well as pressing the throttle was too difficult . (my 8 year old granddaughters never had any problems!)
Other main problem has been electronics, which I know very little about. Having the radio designed was expensive and manufacturing small quantities difficult, and I lost money on this.
Having said this, I am currently enjoying it again and the system is even better now. I think we need wider publicity to bring more people in. But we need something to sell first. I am still hopefull!
Ned

Post by Ned »

Hi Jim,
I retired in 2011. In January of 2016 I obtained and learned how to use 3D modeling software to design magracing chassis to accommodate small highly detailed 1/32 scale slot car bodies. Originally I used the electronics and transmitter/controller from a car I bought from Wes. I have converted several slot cars I bought on ebay to magracing cars. The last couple of cars used off-the-shelf RC electronics, servos, and transmitters available online.

When I started building my own 1/32 cars from scratch, I knew nothing about RC. Also knew very little about slot cars. I found hard wiring the electronics the most difficult. My track is permanently mounted directly on the ground outside in an area 17ft X 26ft. During the summer I cover it with shade cloth to protect me, the track, and the plants from the extreme heat of our Arizona summers. Today it’s 100 F degrees! A lap of my model road course is about 120 ft.

Some of my chassis are available at Shapeways. To see my latest model go to
https://www.shapeways.com/product/BVQQ6 ... 7&li=shops
I’d be glad to help you build a 1/32 car.

Ned
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hello Ned,
Thank you for your email.

Your offer of help is most appreciated.
I've browsed through the link you sent me and am mighty impressed at the amount of time and thought you have
put into the chassis and component parts required to assemble a Mag Car.

As I've mentioned, I have very little background in RC.

Fifty years ago, in the 60's, I used to build my own slot cars and race quite successfully at Club and even National level but that's
a long time ago and I suspect I'd struggle to even assemble one of your chassis now.
In addition, I wouldn't even know where to start looking for the electronics or a miniature servo to fit.

Also which transmitter should I use and which receiver to fit the chassis do I need?
It's going to be a steep learning curve............

However,
I am keen to learn so I've made contact with Wes and he's also kindly offered to help me understand what's required
and hopefully this will lead to me being able to renew my Magracing hobby.

I suppose, to get started again, I'm looking for a pre-assembled chassis as Wes originally sold.
This would include the electronics, a steering servo and rubber tyres etc.

At the present time I have a one of the early 2013 Magracing McLaren's which quite runs well on my test track but I
feel that it's probably rather out of date now.

Ultimately, my aim would be to have a handful of cars of the same class with high detailed bodies that I can run on a home
built modular track. It's only sensible to keep to a specific class ie Can Am, Touring Cars or Le Mans
of a particular era.

Let's see how it progresses with the advice Wes is able to give me and that should give me a starting point.

Kindest Regards,

Jim