Converting 1/32 track to 1/24

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
WesR

Converting 1/32 track to 1/24

Post by WesR »

24 track mods.jpg
24 track mods.jpg (156.65 KiB) Viewed 9265 times
I had some work to do to the track before I could run the 1/24 car. Crash barriers were too close to the track and some widening on the bends was necessary.
The car has the std. 4mm magnet but also foam rubber tyres front and rear. Needless to say, it did not corner or lane change well. Undoubtedly I will need a new track with heavier wire, probably 1mm, but meantime I need a test track so I have improved this one as far as possible. I developed a check gauge for the track. The flat piece of MDF, the width of the car, has a magnet pressed into it and protruding by the same thickness as a piece of plastic sheet bonded under one end and a further piece of plastic is used as a feeler gauge for the other end. This has shown up many bumps on the track and much scraping away of the high spots has resulted in much better running of the larger car.
FredWys

Re: Converting 1/32 track to 1/24

Post by FredWys »

Did you manage to successfully convert the track, WesR? How much work did it take? Do you recommend this to others or do you regret the decision to convert it?
I'm happy to try these energy drinks because they seem legit.
WesR

Re: Converting 1/32 track to 1/24

Post by WesR »

Hi Fred, I guess I should have entitled this 'Modifying a track for 1/24 scale'! This entailed removing some of the crash barriers to clear the wider cars and removing bumps to try and improve the wire guidance for the larger and heavier cars. In the event, I decided that it was not going to be a success and that a new, additional track was needed. This 1/32 track has been cleaned up and is now ok for the 1/32 cars, albeit with a few crash barriers missing!.

I decided that the 1/24 cars needed heavier guide wire (up from 0.8mm to 1.0mm), larger radius turns and , of course, increased width between the lanes and outside.

The new track is up and running and I will post something very soon