modular track idea

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
BriG

Re: modular track idea

Post by BriG »

Hi Ned,

For the holes I used a forstner bit for the large ones the connectors fit in. I used a long 1/4" bit for the dowel holes. I clamped the edges of the boards together just as they would be oriented once assembled, stood them on end perpendicular to my drill press table, and drilled down through both. The holes did not come through at the joint perfectly centered, but it didn't matter because they aligned relative to each other at the joint. I cut short pieces of 1/4" oak dowel, slightly rounded each end, an glued into one of the boards. The other drilled hole was tight enough for the dowel to line the two up once pushed together and held tightly with the connectors. It has been a lot of work doing it this way, but I figured I would just do it. The finished sections are pretty rigid. I used #8 flush steel sheet metal screws on the bottom, stainless on the top for any that end up in the track, which some do.

Brian