My 2000 Cadillac Northstar LMP

Show us your cars
Ned

My 2000 Cadillac Northstar LMP

Post by Ned »

Here are a few pictures of my 2000 Cadillac Northstar LMP. It is a converted SCX slot car which I bought on eBay.

This is the first car I built using Chassis Kit CK3 which is available at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/magracingunlimited
CK3 and CK4 were designed specifically for LMP bodies.

The body by itself weighs 21 grams. The entire car with the battery weighs 82 grams. The wheels and tires are from the slot car.

The rear axle and crown gear are from the slot car. The front stub axles are made from 3/32” diameter x ½” long stainless steel rivets.

In this case I decided to use the entire rear end of the original slot car chassis except the motor and pinion gear, which are stock parts from a magracer.

I used only the front portion of Chassis Kit CK3. I don't remember why I decided to do this. :hmm Probably just to see if it would work. It did! :thumpup

The crown gear has 27 teeth instead of 30 like the stock magracer chassis. The tires are the same diameter so the Cadillac should have a top speed about 11% faster, which appears to be the case. This car is not fun to drive because when it crashes the front bumper often sticks into my foam walls long the sides of the road course. When it doesn't do that, and I back up to recover from a crash, the rear wing often catches on the top of the walls. :usch