racefun test track 1 dec. 19. 2012

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
oldslotracer

Re: racefun test track 1 dec. 19. 2012

Post by oldslotracer »

I bet after a few minutes most guys will start to get the hang of it, and it will be easier after it's painted.
Great test track, shows the need for gentler curves...I'm learning by watching (and still waiting for batteries!!)
Also, I don't see any problem with the speed of the cars.

Seeing that many cars on the track is amazing
Keep up the good work
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

thx Luf

Yes they had fun and some ordered a car at once :)

But since we are more than 16 guys in the club we already talked about the problem with only 16 channels, so we may have to invent 16 more (Wes this is a hint) so we don't has to change our car and controller to a free one all the time, and the mess keeping up control on which channels is free.
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Thanks for posting those videos Keld. I learned A LOT from watching them. I started drawing lines today and have collected materials to start gluing wire tomorrow. I am glad I saw this. I will double check all of my radius to make sure they are not too abrupt. I also think that I may wind up going for some more grip. I'll give it a try with the plastic ones first though.
MIke
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Paint is helping :-)

I only had some yellow and some black paint, but a little mix and I found the track color.
Trackpaint.jpg
Trackpaint.jpg (131.01 KiB) Viewed 15691 times
Only painted once, before I painted everything I removed the wire in the pit lane, only keeping a single lane in the pit.
The wire was easily removed, I glue it with contact glue in the first place, and a little gasoline added now and it was loose and free to remove.
graytracksurface.jpg
graytracksurface.jpg (111.25 KiB) Viewed 15691 times
a little test drive without steering, the car is much more drive able :D

last a little overview my 2 tracks, the very small MAGracing test track and behind the big slotcar track.
smalltesttrack.jpg
smalltesttrack.jpg (133.89 KiB) Viewed 15691 times
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Keld,
After watching t first sequence of videos, the ones of you race night, I was going to ask if your group of racers were slot car guys. But after reading and watching further, I figured out that they in fact were slot car guys. My initial inclinations came from noticing how they attacked the corners pretty aggressively such as one would do with a slot car. That combined with the slipperiness due to lack of a painted surface made for a lot of spinning action! I am thinking that maybe the deeply engrained reflexes of an experienced slot car racer, gained from driving many thousands of laps using a car anchored to a groove, might serve as a disadvantage in learning this new kind of racing. Do you have any thoughts?

Mike
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Hi Mike
Some of the guys race slotcar for many years, some are quite new in slotcars and 2 never raced slotcars for real.
I don't think it's a disadvantage to have great experience from slot car racing, I think we have some skills and can faster adopt the new technique, just remember that the guys tried it for the first time and not all was told how it worked, some didn't know that the guy was steering after the wire so the had no knowledge at all.
That was a test so I could see how people reacted when they didn't know anything. next time when the track have traction and the guys has a little knowledge how it works it will be much better.
/Keld
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

Great progress on your track!

I finished my small test track oval yesterday and turned some laps on New Year's Eve.
Without paint it was loose - but lots of potential is evident.
I used the Dremel cut off saw technique on 1/4" MDF board and it worked really well.
I should paint later today.

I have learned that the lane changes can be tricky to get just right and set up, and smooth and gradual curves work best.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Vintage 1/24 wrote:Great progress on your track!

I have learned that the lane changes can be tricky to get just right and set up, and smooth and gradual curves work best.
Just like in the real world aye? Being an oval fan myself, your oval project is intriguing me.
Mike
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Today tha track was painted once more, and a little wider than before.
some cars was tested with electrical tape on the wheels and what a difference that do

a setup photo:
track030113.jpg
track030113.jpg (112.68 KiB) Viewed 15694 times
/Keld
Leonabi76

Post by Leonabi76 »

Nice! I love learning from y'all's experience. Thanks for all the informative videos.

Abi