NW California Track

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
Nor Cal Mike

Re: NW California Track

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Now I am understanding. I thought that you were saying that the top of the plate should be lower than the wire. I think it is a language mix up :oops: Actually the reason that I had to drive the staples down is that my stapler will nod drive the staples in all of the way. I had to bring out my hammer to finish the job. The JT21 staples are pretty close to the same thickness of the wire and may or may not have equivalent magnet attraction properties. All that I know is that they worked in my little experiment. I thought of it because someone asked awhile back when I added all of the staples to my first wire on paper experiment if maybe a person may not be able to line up a bunch of staples to serve as a wire. It might work but I am not sure. But I do now know that the staples can substitute for the plate.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Re. Lane change plates, perhaps I should explain again. The plates have to be
the same width as the 2 outgoing wires (which we suggest should be a 2mm gap
plus 2 wires which equals approx. 4mm) so that, when the steering is turned, the magnet follows the edge of the plate to the alternative route or, if the steering is turned
the wrong way (easily done by most novice drivers!) the car will continue on the straight ahead default route (instead of turning off the track and crashing which would happen if there were no plate) The thickness of the plate is very important as is the thickness of the track wire. If the wire is thicker, the plate may need to be thicker.
Using our recommended method of glueing the wire and the plates down onto a flat baseboard, the plate will allways be flush with the bottom of the wire and it's magnetic effect will be correct. If you follow instructions, I guarantee your lane changes will work. If you don't follow instructions, they may not.
It's very easy really.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

A lot of us in this group often march to a different bagpipe than the average person. After all that is why we are here. If we were followers, we would still be focusing all of our hobby money and attention towards our beautifully detailed slot cars that we race on a track has remained almost unchanged for the last 50 years. I have always done my slot car hobby to my own tune. I don't see how coming over to this hobby that will change.

Here are the latest pics of my test track.
I painted it with oil based enamel paint that I had stored in the shed. I am not sure if it will be the best surface for grip but It will be a good sealer coat. I can apply another coat of latex paint later if I deem it to be necessary. I don't bother filling in the gaps around the wire or on the slots that I abandoned when I changed my mind. Is this the final cut? Certainly not. But it will serve as a basis for expansion. More changes are sure to be coming and when I give up on this layout, The reverse side of the board is a whole new canvas!

I still am not ready to replace any of my slot car track space with this yet. It may come after all is done and the cars are to my liking. Until that is done this track will likely be added to by extending it with a couple of more sheets. Racing will be on the floor or on saw horses and they will be stacked against the wall when not in use. That is why I will likely stick with MDO plywood as it is light weight, strong, and doesn't have brittle corners.

I took off the guard rails before paint but I am using some plastic strips that were part of a set of vertical blinds for a sliding glass door. I found them on the roadway one day after they had fallen of someones pickup truck. I had them stapled around the edges but I might come up with some kind of snap system so that they can be removed when the panels are in storage.

So far this little track drives well, the changers work, even the stapled one.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

When you put up some barriers!
Could it be a small video so we can se the behavier from cars!
Please says Lasp ;-)
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Unfortunately, I am one of the few who does not have the ability to do video in this modern day. ;) :oops: :roll:
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Hijack a kid from the street !
Nearly all kind of mobil telefon can make a YouTube movie