test track

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
WesR

Re: test track

Post by WesR »

Well done Matt. Tape on the tyres and paint on the track will just about double the grip.
Not only will the car be easier to drive but lane changing will be more consistent as the
car will be running straighter into the l/cs. I can't see any l/c plates, have you built it
without them?
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks wes , i did try it with no gaps or plates at th lc points but could not get that to work . then cut 10mm out as in pic and it works well , i bow to your knowlege but as i see it the magnet needs that free gap to enable the wheels to turn , if i drive slow enough it will leave the line at these points and i can see how the plates would solve this .

first tests show it to be quite reliable as is .
i do get a 90 degree hook up at random points on the track somtimes that cant be broken with forward or reverse , any ideas ?

matt

Post by matt »

So my 11 year old girl just had a go and soon got the idea ( need another car i think) she quikly realised just hold the steering right lock all the time and one quick left and you drive a full race line , thats the problem with such a small track and led to a very hot coil before i noticed .

so plan for tomorow if time is penalise you for not letting off the steering between turns with a crash or long way round . :think
matt

Post by matt »

And the thing with magracing is i can do that at a cost off a little time and thinking :thumpup
prime05

Post by prime05 »

It's weird, cause my first three turns on my track are right handers, and you can't do that. If you just hold it, it won't turn. Have to hit the the lane change at the right time or you miss. Too soon or too late and you are going the long way around. I wonder if this has to do with the difference from plaster to wood or maybe having the lane changes done to Wes's specs.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Its a question about the grip at surface, and running speed! I guess that WesR have lot of experience for the LC .
Keep on experimeting, and enjoy MR.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Sometimes you have to have two right or left turns following each other but that should be a
max. if you want to encourage drivers to drive. The wider running outer lane (if you have space)
also encourages drivers to take the racing line. As Matt says, it costs very little to alter things.
I have cleaned and reused many lengths of piano wire!
matt

Post by matt »

well now ive started to pick up a bit of speed some of the lane changes were not working , i increased the gap from 10 to 15 mm at the exits and its all good again .

I think i will go for the plates on the bigger track latter this year , also the mig wire works but is hard to keep dead straight so probebly piano next time will give the best results ,
Learned alot with the test though and having great fun .