Magracing - where now?

Here we post news from MAGracing.
WesR

Re: Magracing - where now?

Post by WesR »

That's a pretty good description of the battery situation Ned. I have tried protected 10440 cells but, apart from the problem of them not fitting in the charger without using a spacer, or in the car (which of course could be modified) some failed early so I was not too impressed. Not sure if the small size makes things difficult for the manufacturer or perhaps I was just unlucky. As manufacturers we would prefer to be able to recommend protected batteries. The biggest problem though I feel is availability which you yourself pointed out. As a manufacturer, we do not want to get involved in battery supply. We are not supposed to send them by post anyway. Some customers are not happy about having to order from China, or having to wait 3 weeks to get them. The main advantage of the RCR123 would be the greater ease of supply.
My latest car has spring contacts for both ends of the battery with magnets just to hold it in place, so avoiding any magnetic problems. Also no stripping of the insulation. (Just have to make sure it's the right way round!) Unfortunately I believe that a diode, such as we have in the controller, zaps some of the power.
One thing I have found with the larger battery is that the peak voltage holds up much longer. You could have a 5 minute race and not notice any power drop. Two batteries would provide non stop racing.
A change to a larger battery would probably mean a new, adjustable chassis as well. It also means more cash needed unfortunately.
Ned

Post by Ned »

When all factors are considered, I'm not in a position to know whether the CR123A size or the AAA size rechargeable battery is best for 1:32 magracers, which is the scale I find most appealing. For Wes and others making decisions concerning batteries I do want you to know the following concerning 10440 (Size AAA) rechargeable Li-ion batteries:
1. The unprotected version of this battery, with a magnetic + pole, is difficult to find, but I, and most others presumably, would want to use protected batteries for the reasons noted in previous posts.
2. The protected version, with a magnetic + pole is easy to buy and inexpensive, from Amazon.com (the largest online retailer in the U.S.) as well as many vendors on ebay.com . My last order for these from Amazon was delivered in 2 weeks.
3. If the magnet in the end of the battery compartment of the chassis, which holds the + pole, is slid just a little toward the outside of the chassis, both protected and unprotected batteries will fit in the compartment and can be removed with my battery removal tool (which may have larger and stronger magnets than those supplied with the cars).
4. The longer protected cell perhaps can be squeezed into the battery compartment of the transmitter/controller but it most likely would not then hold the shorter unprotected cells. (I haven't tried this.) The simple solution to that problem would be to use up old unprotected cells and then use only protected cells thereafter.
5. The TrustFire Model TR-001 charger works easily and conveniently with both protected and unprotected batteries. It is available from Amazon and many vendors on ebay. See photos below.

If new buyers of magracers were advised to buy 10440 TrustFire protected batteries with the magnetic + pole, ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTT ... UTF8&psc=1 ) and the TrustFire charger ( http://www.amazon.com/Trustfire-Multifu ... 01+charger ) or one which can accommodate multiple cell lengths, then there should be no problems, except for one caveat. Be careful stripping insulation from a protected cell. When cutting across the strip of metal under the insulation and along the side of the battery, sparks may fly!
WesR

Post by WesR »

All good sense Ned. I guess one thing for sure is that we should make car and controller to accept protected batteries. It's easy to fit a spacer if the cells are shorter. Pics of my latest chassis to follow. As I said before , having spring contacts is not too difficult and solves the problem of magnetism and of stripping the insulation. The magnets which hold in the battery can be smaller and can also form the body mount. You will note that the motor is reversed and drives the other wheel. This is simply to make the motor wires shorter and cleaner.
Fixing the motor to the rear axle carrier seems the obvious way to make an adjustable chassis. There would probably be 3 sets of holes for 3 lengths but these could easily be slotted for more adjustment.
Front body mount may look strange but some improvement is needed for serious racing and this seems to work whilst still allowing chassis flex and quick release.
Building a short wheelbase version next.
WesR

Post by WesR »

DSCF9038.JPG
DSCF9038.JPG (147.36 KiB) Viewed 21761 times
DSCF9033.JPG
DSCF9033.JPG (184.77 KiB) Viewed 21761 times
DSCF9033.JPG
DSCF9033.JPG (184.77 KiB) Viewed 21761 times
This lwb chassis has the Nascar body and runs well. Chassis could be slightly narrower than at present.
WesR

Post by WesR »

DSCF9035 (600x410).jpg
DSCF9035 (600x410).jpg (186.89 KiB) Viewed 21761 times
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

Wes, The new adjustable chassis looks simple and uncluttered. I like it. As for the batteries, I am more than satisfied with the power and endurance of the 10440 . The only problem was with one of the protected cell's circuitry had been damaged by use. I simply removed the protection device from the end, rendering it now unprotected. As I remember, that occurred in early summer. Since then the cell in question has soldiered on without ill effects. Ken.
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

Ned, Thanks for all the battery info! The 10440 in 3.0v is attractive because of the desire to keep the speeds down for more realistic racing. Will give them a try. Ken
WesR

Post by WesR »

DSCF9076 (3).JPG
DSCF9076 (3).JPG (145.36 KiB) Viewed 21523 times
Pre production chassis, post to follow.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Looking good Wes!
WesR

Post by WesR »

Whilst waiting for the new batch of radio gear, I have been busy trying out new ideas and working on new products. Finding major new improvements is not easy. It seems we got things pretty much right the first time. I spent some time on an r/c slot system but is seemed such a backward step and only convinced me that Magracing was the way to go. Improvements, as far as I am concerned, relate to adjustable/alternative wheelbase chassis, alternative more easily available and protected batteries and improved body mounting systems.
The chassis shown are suitable for NASCAR saloons and prototype sports cars such as our Sauber Merc. I cannot afford the £2000 necessary for an injection moulding tool so they will be vacuum formed, routed and hand finished. They will be more flexible than the standard chassis which does improve road holding and lane changing. Mounting the bodyshell is, I have found, an important aspect of road/guide wire holding. The basic system has limitations for serious racing, bodies do come off when crashed.
A rigid body mount system however does restrict any flex/twist in the chassis. The cars shown have larger 4mm magnets which retain the battery but also fix the body more securely at the rear. The front mount will allow the chassis to twist.
The battery will be the CR123 size, both protected or unprotected will fit.
One important improvement that I have found over the last few months is the importance of free movement for the front steering assembly. We now drill out the pivot holes for the front king pins,etc. slightly larger and the cars now have perfect straight running and lane changing.
I am still optimistic that Magracing will 'take off'. 2015 could be the year!