Steel tape ?

here the word is free (almost) if you would like to discuss real cars ore something else, but nothing that can offence people.
Pal-Al

Steel tape ?

Post by Pal-Al »

Like a lot of you , I still keep in touch with this forum as I miss it and really had wished Magracing was feasible ! It just came to mind however, that steel tape may be the answer to the simplification of track mfg. Just lay the tape and then paint ! Just thinking out loud ! PS the production of cars would then move ahead ! Al
Pal-Al

Re: Steel tape ?

Post by Pal-Al »

Just a follow up ! I was referring to a magnetic tape I ran across which was 100 ft. long , 3/4 " wide and .06" thick ! Could this be used ? A very shallow groove could be routed as a support or maybe not necessary ! Also it could be cut in half as 3/4" is not necessary . If I hadn't sold my cars I would certainly give it a try ! Oh well --- Al
HeliumFrog

Re: Steel tape ?

Post by HeliumFrog »

Yes I have tried steel tape. The width you suggest is a little too wide, and 60 thou a bit thick but I have used 5mm wide (I think it was 20 thou thick). But narrower would be better. One issue us the bends as tape is difficult to bend around a corner. The older cars also suffer shimmy on the straights so a wide band wouldn't help this. The new cars we will be releasing soon do not have this problem. We are also actively looking into standard track sections.

Here is a track I made using shim to show that it is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWhJMmPehgM